SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  badjab326 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:56 am

Elaborating on my fb comment, I think 480x272 would be more practical as long as you extend the buildings instead of the floor pattern. Mostly because the 3 players will have more room anyway since the screen is wider so you don't have to worry about that, but also from a design standpoint when you have a repeating floor pattern like that if it gets too large I start to see it as a totally 2D piece as opposed to the 2.5D we're supposed to see with games like this.

In order to get the extended floor pattern to look good you'd have to abuse the hell out of foreground objects, and that will get noticeable after a while too.

Although I'm fine with native, I think the higher res will work better for gameplay and compatibility.

_________________
avatar
badjab326
Forum Elder

Posts : 618
Join date : 2013-01-10
Location : California

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:11 am

badjab326 wrote:Elaborating on my fb comment, I think 480x272 would be more practical as long as you extend the buildings instead of the floor pattern. Mostly because the 3 players will have more room anyway since the screen is wider so you don't have to worry about that, but also from a design standpoint when you have a repeating floor pattern like that if it gets too large I start to see it as a totally 2D piece as opposed to the 2.5D we're supposed to see with games like this.

In order to get the extended floor pattern to look good you'd have to abuse the hell out of foreground objects, and that will get noticeable after a while too.

Although I'm fine with native, I think the higher res will work better for gameplay and compatibility.
Yeah this was my reasoning for considering the resolution initially was giving players breathing room. As for the floor I do plan to redesign it not to be so same-y adding sidewalk, pattern change etc but I see what you mean here, the res bump mock up was a rush job I'll put together another one with an extended building instead as you suggested.
Edit: Here's a better version.

_________________
avatar
Mr.Din
Jack

Posts : 572
Join date : 2013-01-11
Location : Sin City

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  badjab326 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:07 am

Yeah I like this a lot better, now you can fit a lot more enemies on the screen, you have more room for lifebars and plenty of space to scatter items about, and most importantly it doesn't look or feel weird. The extended x-axis totally makes up for the small y-axis.

_________________
avatar
badjab326
Forum Elder

Posts : 618
Join date : 2013-01-10
Location : California

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:42 am

badjab326 wrote:Yeah I like this a lot better, now you can fit a lot more enemies on the screen, you have more room for lifebars and plenty of space to scatter items about, and most importantly it doesn't look or feel weird. The extended x-axis totally makes up for the small y-axis.
I guess the best part is the 104 pixel life bars for more accuracy and less conversion heh heh

_________________
avatar
Mr.Din
Jack

Posts : 572
Join date : 2013-01-11
Location : Sin City

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Don Vecta on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:25 am

Mr.Din wrote:
320x240

480x272

Can't seem to get the latter to work atm but what do you think? I prefer native settings.

Native

_________________

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
avatar
Don Vecta
Moderator

Posts : 1522
Join date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:02 am

Don Vecta wrote:
Mr.Din wrote:
320x240

480x272

Can't seem to get the latter to work atm but what do you think? I prefer native settings.

Native
I'd be interested in the reasoning, as I'm still a little towards native myself though so far the upped resolution has been the vote for the majority.

would this middle ground be more reasonable? reposted in case you didn't see it above I know the first mock up was pretty rough.

_________________
avatar
Mr.Din
Jack

Posts : 572
Join date : 2013-01-11
Location : Sin City

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Shyning77 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:53 pm

Mr.Din wrote:
iceweb38 wrote:Speaking of promising, anyone heard anything about Rage of the Streets lately? The sampler Moe posted was most delicious but it's been years now.
Last I talked to christuserloeser he said he was working on a streets of rage project but not rage of the streets.
Last time I contributed with him on updating Rage of the Streets was a long time ago, before the release of SORR v4 IIRC. I think he became quite lazy and tired of being quite alone in charge of the project, while SORR had many contributors and was more promising. He once told me that if I could contribute again, that could help him find some motivation to work on Rage of the Streets again, but that was a few years ago, so I guess Rage of the Streets won't get any further than v1.2.

_________________
avatar
Shyning77
SorR Contributor

Posts : 54
Join date : 2015-01-18
Location : Liège (Belgium)

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:02 pm

Shyning77 wrote:
Mr.Din wrote:
iceweb38 wrote:Speaking of promising, anyone heard anything about Rage of the Streets lately? The sampler Moe posted was most delicious but it's been years now.
Last I talked to christuserloeser he said he was working on a streets of rage project but not rage of the streets.
Last time I contributed with him on updating Rage of the Streets was a long time ago, before the release of SORR v4 IIRC. I think he became quite lazy and tired of being quite alone in charge of the project, while SORR had many contributors and was more promising. He once told me that if I could contribute again, that could help him find some motivation to work on Rage of the Streets again, but that was a few years ago, so I guess Rage of the Streets won't get any further than v1.2.
Well I offered my help many times which ultimately led to my current project given he never really responded too much after a few replies, I just figured he was quite busy. He didn't really give much detail in what direction he wanted to go with the project. I'm not too big of a fan of contributing too something I don't really have much info on when it comes to doing graphics.

_________________
avatar
Mr.Din
Jack

Posts : 572
Join date : 2013-01-11
Location : Sin City

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Shyning77 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Mr.Din wrote:I'm not too big of a fan of contributing too something I don't really have much info on when it comes to doing graphics.
I can understand that perfectly. In the specific case of the development of SORR, the lack of details about the story (and the complete lack of a story at all at some point) has always been an issue for those who were supposed to create graphics for the ingame cutscenes, intro and endings.

_________________
avatar
Shyning77
SorR Contributor

Posts : 54
Join date : 2015-01-18
Location : Liège (Belgium)

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:33 am

Shyning77 wrote:
Mr.Din wrote:I'm not too big of a fan of contributing too something I don't really have much info on when it comes to doing graphics.
I can understand that perfectly. In the specific case of the development of SORR, the lack of details about the story (and the complete lack of a story at all at some point) has always been an issue for those who were supposed to create graphics for the ingame cutscenes, intro and endings.
SoRR was definitely a special case though, very rare does a project derived from one person get off the ground let alone finished. It's usually better to have a team in the beginning but I agree, gotta have some sort of gameplan when it comes to parts of the project being handed off to someone.

_________________
avatar
Mr.Din
Jack

Posts : 572
Join date : 2013-01-11
Location : Sin City

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Criss on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:12 am

avatar
Criss
SorR Contributor

Posts : 52
Join date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Saven on Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Nice! Smile

_________________
avatar
Saven
Forum Elder

Posts : 1284
Join date : 2013-01-09
Location : Streets of Rage

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:39 am

Criss wrote:
While I'm not a gta fan, this is some damn quality spritesmanship you got here good sir.

_________________
avatar
Mr.Din
Jack

Posts : 572
Join date : 2013-01-11
Location : Sin City

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  JoyJoyfulRabbit on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Criss wrote:

Micheal's looks like Shyning77 Very Happy
avatar
JoyJoyfulRabbit
Fog

Posts : 247
Join date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Shyning77 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:00 pm

JoyJoyfulRabbit wrote:Micheal's looks like Shyning77 Very Happy
Laughing Well, it's only with SOR pixel art that you can see a similarity, because IRL, I look nothing like him Laughing Hard

_________________
avatar
Shyning77
SorR Contributor

Posts : 54
Join date : 2015-01-18
Location : Liège (Belgium)

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Don Vecta on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Criss wrote:

I love you.

_________________

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
avatar
Don Vecta
Moderator

Posts : 1522
Join date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  NeoVamp on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:17 pm

Don Vecta wrote:I love you.


_________________
SORR V7 Download Link.
avatar
NeoVamp
Forum Elder

Posts : 41
Join date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din on Thu May 07, 2015 10:11 pm


I liked the taller look but I wanted to give him a fuller stance. I think the stance is a bit boring though thinking of something a little more flashy I mean he is (or was) a pro wrestler right?

_________________
avatar
Mr.Din
Jack

Posts : 572
Join date : 2013-01-11
Location : Sin City

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Saven on Fri May 08, 2015 4:10 am

Looks a lot better. The other one had legs that were a bit too long for him and made him look a little lanky. Laughing

I think the stance is fine, but he could crouch over a little bit and it would give off more of a wrestling stance than a normal fighting one.

_________________
avatar
Saven
Forum Elder

Posts : 1284
Join date : 2013-01-09
Location : Streets of Rage

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din on Fri May 08, 2015 4:53 am

Saven wrote:Looks a lot better. The other one had legs that were a bit too long for him and made him look a little lanky. Laughing

I think the stance is fine, but he could crouch over a little bit and it would give off more of a wrestling stance than a normal fighting one.
You know I was wondering if his legs were too long, Lanky is a good way to describe it haha. I'll definitely take the crouching over into account, I want to give him some more personality much like I did with Adam's stance.

Added his other design.

_________________
avatar
Mr.Din
Jack

Posts : 572
Join date : 2013-01-11
Location : Sin City

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din on Tue May 12, 2015 8:57 pm


more goon goodness, this one didn't take as long as I thought it would when I buckled down. I'm thinking of doing this guy next:

Any ideas?


Last edited by Mr.Din on Wed May 13, 2015 8:28 pm; edited 4 times in total

_________________
avatar
Mr.Din
Jack

Posts : 572
Join date : 2013-01-11
Location : Sin City

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  SoRFanatic on Wed May 13, 2015 1:40 am

Which guy?

SoRFanatic
Galsia

Posts : 21
Join date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din on Wed May 13, 2015 3:37 am

SoRFanatic wrote:Which guy?
The only other guy than Hakuyo of course Razz mr.beta thug guy. I'm thinking of giving him a fresh new moveset, involving knives.

_________________
avatar
Mr.Din
Jack

Posts : 572
Join date : 2013-01-11
Location : Sin City

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Don Vecta on Wed May 13, 2015 11:23 am

Mr.Din wrote:
more goon goodness, this one didn't take as long as I thought it would when I buckled down. I'm thinking of doing this guy next:

Any ideas?

Sweet~! Those Hakus look really good! I see some Lau Chan/Lee Pai Long inspiration in some of the alt outfits! You still could play a bit on the hairstyles like you did on old headswaps, though, like having a full slick back hairstyle, a ponytail, a braid or even a queue braided style, hehe. Razz

Would you there to go further into a full bald monk style in one of them? Twisted Evil

_________________

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
avatar
Don Vecta
Moderator

Posts : 1522
Join date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din on Wed May 13, 2015 1:53 pm

Don Vecta wrote:
Mr.Din wrote:
more goon goodness, this one didn't take as long as I thought it would when I buckled down. I'm thinking of doing this guy next:

Any ideas?

Sweet~! Those Hakus look really good! I see some Lau Chan/Lee Pai Long inspiration in some of the alt outfits! You still could play a bit on the hairstyles like you did on old headswaps, though, like having a full slick back hairstyle, a ponytail, a braid or even a queue braided style, hehe. Razz

Would you there to go further into a full bald monk style in one of them? Twisted Evil
Well I try to do at least 3 variations for this reason alone so we shall see what comes up next! I haven't touched on Hakuyo 2 or the Dragons yet either so plenty of room for getting the creative juices flowing. Very Happy

_________________
avatar
Mr.Din
Jack

Posts : 572
Join date : 2013-01-11
Location : Sin City

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum