Streets of Rage 1 Collection for V5

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Streets of Rage 1 Collection for V5

Post  CajNatalie on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:04 pm

It's done, it's complete. The Streets of Rage 1 Collection for V5 is ready to go!
I worked tirelessly to construct everything in native resolution, all layers, all animations, and all music tracks looped, too. The first time I did this it was pretty much my 'training' mod where I learned the basics, and had no idea what I was doing with the graphics. Extending naturally to 240 height is a lot easier now than I ever expected it to be - if anything it's way less complicated than resizing, too (no transparency headaches).

For the old school fans, who love the original in all its glory.
Streets of Rage 2 may hold the most popularity.
Streets of Rage 3 may be the newest and have the most fluid mechanics.
But the first will always hold a special place in our hearts...
Back in our day, even real life didn't have graphics this good.
Pixelated schmixelated - the stages were brilliant.
Back in our day, you had one sound effect for 20 things, and you came to love that sound effect.
Back in our day... Streets of Rage - the Classic - the Original - was the best damn game out there.
This mod hopes to be a tribute to that Classic.

Ah but it's not just a simple port of the MegaDrive version any longer!

Speaking with Laucorn about the direction the mod was taking, I was encouraged to extend the mod to more than just a 'pixel perfect version done good this time' of the old mod. But it's not as simple as just 'GG' and 'SMS' routes would have you think.
Because of lower quality graphics, and smaller resolution, I had to get, hmm... 'creative' with how those routes were done!
The Game Gear route is a 16-bitified construction where I arranged the stages with 16 bit resources so they would look like full size levels from the portable. Even the music has a small but very effective change in how its used.
The SMS route starts off in an 8-bit stage, then transitions into 16-bit with 8-bit colours, then full on 16-bit (ending in a HQ with the SMS palette that may burn some eyes though, lol).
Oh and there's another one; you can thank Vecta for it even being considered.
You can play Bare Knuckle Mobile Stages with uncorrupted MIDI arrangements, giving Yuzo Koshiro's work the respect it deserves! No piano of death - the music no longer has to be a bad joke.

Experimental Scene in BKM
Confused?
Solution for Babbies:

*The extra blue to the bottom left is to prevent the player falling to their death if they drop down and hold left.
There always needs to be blue further to the left of the yellow above.

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/twrcrm6vm2y82mt/SoR1%20Collection%20for%20V5.rar?dl=0
87MB
Includes a full SoR1 Palette Pack, please apply them before playing.
Also, there's a Sound Pack, with 16-bit sounds for SoR2 hits and 8-bit sounds for SoR3 hits, among some other necessary changes/fixes like the Blaze/Judo HEY/HUEY, Bongo1's firebreath, Axel1's death, SoR1 punk cries.

Patch
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxndac1h7d75yem/SoR1%20Object%20Patch.rar?dl=0
A sprite had non-transparent black where it should have been transparent. Fixed in all object files.
Most people won't notice, but if you want it perfect, get this patch.

Extracting Resources
If you extract resources from the mod for other projects, remember who took their free time to extend, arrange, layer, and animate them. Don't be an Allan Cyllakes; don't be a dick, please give credit.
I would appreciate it a lot, thank you!

Difficulty
Of course, what CajNatalie mod would be complete if I didn't take the time to scale it properly?

Megadrive
Easy-Normal: Enjoyable placement reflecting original Easy-Normal and low health values for a fun casual playthough
Hard: All enemies present with fair health
Very Hard: Hardest only added more health and damage, so this mode simply upgrades many enemies to have large health pools. Be warned that wrestlers were cranked to 11 in the original, so they will also have a disproportionate amount of health compared to other bosses here
Mania: There was nothing above Hardest. Mania will increase health further and give some flavour by switching palettes here and there
2P: All 2P enemies and extra bosses. Also access to the Bad End*

Game Gear AKA Chihuahua Route
Easy: Many enemies with very low health, reflecting GG Easy placement
Normal: Many more enemies, still with low health, reflecting GG Hard placement
Hard: Slightly more enemy health, reflecting GG Hard's enemy health boost
Very Hard: Many many enemies, many of which have high health
Mania: Extra high health enemies, with MD palettes, pay you a visit
2P: 2P enemies from the MD join in, with GG palettes.

Super Master System AKA Sleepy Route
Easy: A very quiet playthrough
Normal: Quiet playthrough against very few enemies at a time, reflecting SMS Normal
Hard: A decent number of enemies, reflecting SMS Hard
Very Hard: High enemy health
Mania: Various enemies are leveled up to the next palette with more health. Many boss fights are made 'interesting' in case you fell asleep during the main level.
2P: 2P enemies from the MD join in, with SMS palettes.

Bare Knuckle Mobile AKA Beautiful Route
Easy: Baseline enemy placement reflecting BKM's fixed enemies
Normal-Very Hard: BKM used an enemy spawner. How much you raise the difficulty determines how much you draw from each level's spawner
Mania: Too many enemies from the spawner
2P: More enemies from the spawner. Also added specific waves to match those found when summoning Adam in the original

Another Route
Wait what, there is no secret 5th route. What are you talking about?!
Move along, nothing to see here.

*Megadrive Bad End
1. Enable friendly damage
2. Set lives to the lowest you are comfortable with
3. Play until Onihime&Yasha at the doors of Mr.X
4. Join 2nd player BEFORE defeating the Twins
5. A new option will open between Yes/No
6. Fight to the Death!
7. No, actually fight to the death.
8. Only one survivor? Good. Now you can have the Bad End
9. Just to make sure, make the loser choose Game Over.

Warning: Only 1 person can sit in The Chair. Attempting to cheat the system will have consequences. Razz

Original Credits

Ported and Made By
CajNatalie
Don Vecta (Selector Concept, BKM Stage 1&3, Graphical Upgrade Ideas)
Mr. Din (BKM Stage 2&6)

Special Thanks To
BomberLink
Yuzo Koshiro
Laucorn

Anything Vecta Would Like To Add
vv

Last edited by CajNatalie on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:45 pm; edited 12 times in total
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

https://beam.pro/NattyCat

Back to top Go down

Re: Streets of Rage 1 Collection for V5

Post  Don Vecta on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:44 pm

The first SOR is back with a bang!

I only can say: play hard, babies... No, scratch that, play MANIA, babies! And be curious! Very curious...

Oh, and please, record your runs. Just sayin'. Cool

EDIT.

This is a 90's game homage mod, but we're in the 2010's! And in gaming, we NEED TROPHIES and ACHIEVEMENTS~!
Now, like in the latest generation console games, you don't have to do them, but you really want to do them! And why you want to do them? Bragging rights? Damn straight! Extra challenge? Totally! Something unlocked? Ermmm... well, who knows? Rolling Eyes (actually, YES! an unlockable... and an unlockable you really want!)  Very Happy

In order to check your achievements, you may have to record your run (or the specific trophy you want to unlock) and show it in this thread. And demonstrate why are you the ultimate SOR1 Collection master! Twisted Evil~

So, without further ado, the trophy list!

Must be on Very Hard+ unless otherwise stated

Bosses
Antonio - Beat a pair of Antonios with a CPU partner without taking any damage (any route)
Souther - Finish him with a jump attack (any route)
Abadede - Beat the duo in any final stage (Syndicate HQ) with a CPU partner without losing any lives
Bongo - Knock him off the bridge. (Game Gear route only)
Twins - After you beat one, finish the other within 5 seconds of game time (any route)
Slash - Finish him using the homing laser (SMS route only)
Yamatokiri - Beat Harakiri within 10 seconds of game time of beating Kong (BKM route only)
Mr.X - Defeat all his back up crew before him (any route)

Characters
Adam - On any bridge, domino kick one enemy into another so that they both fall into a pit.
Your foot can only touch one enemy.
Axel - Lock 4 or more enemies from start to finish in an infinite combo.
You cannot hit any outside of the combo or use any knock downs.
Blaze - Leg throw 3 enemies in a row off of an elevator.
Beating an enemy any other way or dunking with a suplex means you have to start over.

Routes
MD - Say Yes to Mr.X to do Stages 6-8 all over again
GG - Finish at or above your starting life count (if you start at x4, then x3 means you lose)
SMS - Beat on Mania with a CPU partner - no player continues lost
BKM - Kill Kong/El Gigante by dunking/throwing him off the elevator

No-Death Playthroughs of All 4 Routes
Hard: Platinum
Very Hard: Diamond
Mania: Impossible (if done, the crew of this mod will owe you a long blowjob) Very Happy

So, there it is. Good luck with that!

Last edited by Don Vecta on Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:36 pm

Don Vecta wrote:The first SOR is back with a bang!

I only can say: play hard, babies... No, scratch that, play MANIA, babies! And be curious! Very curious...

Oh, and please, record your runs. Just sayin'. Cool
Yes, it would be nice if someone found some extra part of the mod that totally doesn't exist and endured it. We'd have to make sure they were congratulated, I wonder what bonus content I could make for such an occasion... will have to think about it and put something together. Cool
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din on Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:51 pm

TIS FINALLY HEEEEAAAAH!! Will be recording a playthrough soon hopefully sunday, busy schedule and what not. Once again thanks for this beautiful mod and it's been an honor working on it. SoR1 is indeed back with more oomph! Very Happy

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bazzza on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Oh hell yeah it is here Very Happy Very Happy, thank you very much Caj, Donnie, Mr Din for this and any other contributors. This look awesome downloading now.
bazzza
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarma on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:36 pm

Oh, thank you! Smile

I have a bit played the mod and it is impressive, as usual.
Tarma
Nora

http://neogeospirit.pagesperso-orange.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post  bazzza on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:12 pm

Just played this mod great stuff again everything is absolutely perfect. Here is some gameplay footage this playthrough I think, I took the BKM route. This is played on very hard.

Last edited by bazzza on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:44 am; edited 2 times in total
bazzza
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:18 am

Looks fantastic! Downloading Smile

Fecha : 17 – 3 – 03
*/

Primera linea de código escrita .. GO! GO! GO!
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:59 am

bazzza wrote:Just played this mod great stuff again everything is absolutely perfect. Here is some gameplay footage this playthrough I think, I took the BKM route. This is played on very hard.

Great run man. I cackled the couple of times you inadvertently ended up putting someone in a pit, like "yes, embrace the pit!" Twisted Evil
I know you don't like to use them (you had one chance to dunk Kong, BTW, and if there was any time to go for a dunk, it was then - he's really hard to get off the elevator). Razz
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:29 am

Ah damnit, there's always something. Razz
The exact frame YT picked for Bazzza's video thumb helped me find the error.

Patch
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxndac1h7d75yem/SoR1%20Object%20Patch.rar?dl=0
A sprite had non-transparent black where it should have been transparent. Fixed in all object files.
Most people won't notice, but if you want it perfect, get this patch.
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  William Assunção on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:16 am

I played this mod too, i finished the BKM route, apart from lack of dilapidated town level and the images of MD good ending level that route was amazing!

Next time i will play the GG and SMS routes, and the MD ASAP. Wink

Thank you Caj, Vecta and other stuff for this mod, i can't wait for the update of SOR2 & SOR3 mods for 5.1 ver. Very Happy
William Assunção
Donovan

http://www.youtube.com/user/yuriassuncao

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:36 am

I can see the BKM is so far the novelty and the favorite of the recent players. I don't blame you, it is also MY personal favorite. Razz

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  bazzza on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:01 am

CajNatalie wrote:
bazzza wrote:Just played this mod great stuff again everything is absolutely perfect. Here is some gameplay footage this playthrough I think, I took the BKM route. This is played on very hard.

Great run man. I cackled the couple of times you inadvertently ended up putting someone in a pit, like "yes, embrace the pit!" Twisted Evil
I know you don't like to use them (you had one chance to dunk Kong, BTW, and if there was any time to go for a dunk, it was then - he's really hard to get off the elevator). Razz

Thanks for the response Caj, yeah I know I could of dunked kong but I was also worried about getting chucked off myself. Yeah the pit yeah I hate throwing enemies in there feels cheap like I said before. But on this run yeah no idea where the pits were ended up firing people down there Razz  Going to do another run today on the GG version

Last edited by bazzza on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
bazzza
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  DamianD on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:39 am

Thanks so much CajNatalie very excited to play every version Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Someone's going to be completely stuck eventually, so I put this in the first post...

Confused?
Solution for Babbies:

*The extra blue to the bottom left is to prevent the player falling to their death if they drop down and hold left. There always needs to be blue further to the left of the yellow above.
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  bazzza on Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:01 pm

CajNatalie wrote:Someone's going to be completely stuck eventually, so I put this in the first post...

Confused?
Solution for Babbies:

*The extra blue to the bottom left is to prevent the player falling to their death if they drop down and hold left. There always needs to be blue further to the left of the yellow above.

Was this post in light of my video I posted earlier, where I was stupidly trying to workout how to get on the lift. Anyways here is another video of me playing this mod but this time I took the Game Gear route.

bazzza
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  DamianD on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:12 pm

Just finished GG,SMS and Mobile routes very well done thanks to all who helped make this.

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:02 pm

bazzza wrote:Was this post in light of my video I posted earlier, where I was stupidly trying to workout how to get on the lift. Anyways here is another video of me playing this mod but this time I took the Game Gear route.

You figured it out.
For the people who won't even try to figure it out, I'm going to call them a wee wittle babby before I give them the solution. It's like discouraging people from looking at the solution by labelling it that way. Razz

Also glad to see the chihuahua route claim another victim. Twisted Evil

DamianD wrote:Just finished GG,SMS and Mobile routes very well done thanks to all who helped make this.
Glad you enjoyed it. Very Happy
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  bazzza on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:54 pm

CajNatalie wrote:
bazzza wrote:Was this post in light of my video I posted earlier, where I was stupidly trying to workout how to get on the lift. Anyways here is another video of me playing this mod but this time I took the Game Gear route.

You figured it out.
For the people who won't even try to figure it out, I'm going to call them a wee wittle babby before I give them the solution. It's like discouraging people from looking at the solution by labelling it that way. Razz

Also glad to see the chihuahua route claim another victim. Twisted Evil

DamianD wrote:Just finished GG,SMS and Mobile routes very well done thanks to all who helped make this.
Glad you enjoyed it. Very Happy

Yeah that GG route my god is tough it seem to have a unhealthy obsession with SOR1 women and SOR1 Karate fighters. Anyways here is another video but this time taking the SMS route. I like to say what is up with level 6 very long and the laser beam near the end I do not recall that being there. Anyways here is the video.

bazzza
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:13 pm

Laser beam is a reference to the SMS's use of zappers where the thwomps should be, since it couldn't handle a moving layer when it was already trying to make conveyors animate.
I shall save that video for laters. Very Happy
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Rocketeer Raccoon on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:56 pm

CajNatalie wrote:Another Route
Wait what, there is no secret 5th route. What are you talking about?!
Move along, nothing to see here.

Another Route:
Haha, can't fool me, SorMaker shows the hidden levels, unfortunately the only starting I can find for this hidden route is at Stage 2 Scene 11, the only question now is how do you get to this point? What is interesting is that Mr. X is talking to you about claiming the seat.
Rocketeer Raccoon
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Rocketeer Raccoon wrote:
Another Route:
Haha, can't fool me, SorMaker shows the hidden levels, unfortunately the only starting I can find for this hidden route is at Stage 2 Scene 11, the only question now is how do you get to this point? What is interesting is that Mr. X is talking to you about claiming the seat.
It's your imagination:
The scenes may be there in Maker for those who search, but the real challenge is finding how to get there.
Remember what Vecta said about being curious. Scroll up and find his exact words right after my first post. The route has one very particular way in - do anything wrong and it doesn't exist.
Align all the conditions and suddenly it might exist. Wink
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:04 pm

I see you are working on your SoR2 mod now, will you be doing something similar to this mod with an SMS and GG route?

*/

Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Charco wrote:I see you are working on your SoR2 mod now, will you be doing something similar to this mod with an SMS and GG route?
Yesh there will be GG and SMS stages.
New stages will be drawn up to 240 height, likely with Vecta doing all the perfecting after I've sorted out basic line and colour work, considering he jumped at the opportunity last time we talked about it.
Making our own Alien Bridge is going to be hell, but the rest looks simple.

There'll also be a 4th route, and a potential for a mini-mod.
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Sounds great Very Happy

*/

Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top