[Tutorial] Custom Item *COMPLETE* Guide for v5.1

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Tutorial] Custom Item *COMPLETE* Guide for v5.1

Post  Don Vecta on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:14 pm

There's no official guide posted so far in how to edit the custom breakable items. The only barebones guide appears in the bugfix readme for the v5.1 update along the huge list of changes (and, if I can say so myself, a bit inconvenient for those who need a number guide at hand). Therefore, without further ado, I introduce you the complete number guide for custom items (complete thanks to CM_Blast, who researched a lot of missing items from the bugfix redme).

*extract from the bugfix readme*

Code:
241. Sormaker : Added object sprite replacement file.
- Each stage can have a different set of breakable objects.
- If the stage is called stage1a.fpg the object should be named object1a.fpg.
- Replaces the original object only if the sprite exists in the new file, properties and sounds are the same.
- Objects will have no name or portrait, however you can attempt using frame 24/25 for just 1 name mounted in 1 sprite.
- A point of control on 000 is needed, X center, Y bottom point.
(Only these available in Sormaker editor order)

The list (highlighting CM_Blast's findings with bold characters):

* Explosive barrel - 158,324
* Table -> 346 broken : 351
* Chair -> 347 broken : 352
* Plant -> 154 broken : 155, 153 for falling leaves.
* Road block Sor2 -> 156 broken : 157
* Bin -> 159 broken : 161
* Trash can -> 440 broken 441 (3)
* Barrel Sor2 -> 158 broken : 160
* Barrel Sor3 -> 162 broken : 163
* Box A -> 164 broken : 165
* Box B -> 169 broken : 170
* Box C -> 171 broken : 172
* Chests -> 173 broken : 174
* Disco table -> 185,186,187 broken : 188,189,190
* Road block Sor3 -> 177 broken : 178
* Mail box -> 179 broken : 180
* Shrine -> 181 broken : 182
* Wall -> 191,192,193,194 broken : 195, 196 for rubble pieces
* Statue A -> 198
* Statue B -> 199 broken : 300/301 (generates two kind of multiple shards flying, 3 or more per number)
* Sand bags -> 214 broken : 215
* Vase -> 216 broken : 217
* Box -> 218 broken : 219
* Sign -> 221
* Container 1 -> 222 broken : 223
* Container 2 -> 224 broken : 225
* Arcade -> 235,236 broken : 237,238
* Container -> 442 broken : 443
* Egg -> 353,354,355 broken : 356,357,358
* Trolley -> 453,454 (4) broken : 455 (3)
* Vent -> 456 broken : 457
* Pylon -> 458 broken : 459
* Barrel Sor1 -> 463 broken : 464
* Hazard light -> 465 broken : 466
* Road block Sor1 -> 467 broken : 469, 468 (this road block can be torn in two independent pieces)
* Phone booth -> 470 broken : 486 (additional multiple shards 471, 472, 473 *for additional notes, the number 473 creates 1 to 2 fragments, 472 3 to 4 fragments and 471 3 or more shards)
* Crate -> 484 broken : 485 (only generate one kind of shards/rubble/pieces, but several of them flying)
* Falling Drum Cans (event item) -> 210 to 213 (1)(2)
* Rolling Drum Cans (event item) -> 204 to 209 (1)

* Tire Stacks -> 474 broken : 475 (important: it will generate 4 identical sprites representing each piled tire)
* Preservers -> 183 broken : 184 (same as above: 4 identical items)

(1) If the initial number of these items doesn't exist (either 204 or 210), the game will use the default sprites for it, which means, in order for the custom item to appear, it NEEDS the very first number of the series.
(2) Unfortunately, it is impossible to edit the broken sprite of the falling can.
(3) These items will also be modified into their Events/Extras feature, such as Trashcat or Killer Troley from the Syndicate HQs.
(4) The second frame, 454, is for movement when the trolley is used as an Event.

Last edited by Don Vecta on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Re: [Tutorial] Custom Item *COMPLETE* Guide for v5.1

Post  Cm_Blast on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Just to help a bit more, I have some tips/advices when doing custom items.

Doing an item too small/short:

Maybe you want to create a custom item that is really small. For example, this chest from the "The king of dragons" game. 

So we create the object.fpg with his control point, then place the item in Sormaker and soon we can see a problem.

People like Axel and Zan can have trouble hitting those small items. Yes, you can use his kick to hit the item anyway, but you can feel a bit crippled.
The easiest solution is increasing the size of the canvas (Photoshop) like this, (the size of the item itself remains the same). 
 <-- this way the hitbox of the item is increased.

Now Axel can hit the item without problem.

How about bigger items?

Custom items are able to change the hit-box of that item, but no his map-colision. Here an example.

The item have a huge hit box, matching the visuals.
However, the item retain the original Sorr colision map (Phone booth in this case), so the item blocks you in the center, but not in the rest of the area.

The best point of control:

The bugtrack said you need a point of control on 000, X center, Y bottom point.
However this isn't a must, and you can play with this numbers to create diferents things.

For example in this images I am using a point control with X Center and Y Bottom, and then the same but Y is Bottom minus 5 pixels

Y = bottom ->  Y = Bottom - 5 pixels ->

In the imagen to the left looks like there is plenty of romo to walk, but you get blocked. Moving the "Y" 5 pixels up that bottom limit of the item don't feel so big (If you decrease the "Y" more, then the top part of the item is the one which will feels empty).

Cm_Blast
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:36 pm

With the control point option, my advice is always to place the control point in the middle of the area forming the base, never at the bottom, otherwise, as stated by CM above, the sprite will look displaced.

The only exception where the control point can be at the very bottom is the breakable wall item, since, by default, will be placed at the bottom of your SORmaker map. The other items still respect their hitbox in a tri-dimensional space, so put the control point in the middle OF THE BASE.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Cm_Blast on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:05 pm

on Vecta wrote:With the control point option, my advice is always to place the control point in the middle of the area forming the base, never at the bottom, otherwise, as stated by CM above, the sprite will look displaced.

The only exception where the control point can be at the very bottom is the breakable wall item, since, by default, will be placed at the bottom of your SORmaker map. The other items still respect their hitbox in a tri-dimensional space, so put the control point in the middle OF THE BASE.

True.

About the walls, can be done weird chooses to make diferent type of walls. For example if you have a scene were the bottom part is a pit, and you want to place a small wall you can place the "Y" lower than the real bottom, just to make you wall "going up".

Of if you wall is more weird, like this one I used in Knights of the round.

The size of the image is 180x112, and the control point in X=75 Y=83. This case is because the wall is more diagonal than the original. using the "X = center" made your character being cover by the image easily.

Cm_Blast
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:51 pm

Good work guys, very useful.

Fecha : 17 – 3 – 03
*/

Primera linea de código escrita .. GO! GO! GO!
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Saven on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Excellent work. I will definitely be referencing this for the future. Very Happy

I still need to do a tutorial on the new cutscene making tools. They are incredibly useful.

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Looking at objeto.fpg and the broken falling can appears to be in 203.
If someone can confirm this, Vecta can you put that in the list?
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

https://beam.pro/NattyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:10 am

CajNatalie wrote:Looking at objeto.fpg and the broken falling can appears to be in 203.

Confirmed but the sprite won't appear. :-/

Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:48 am

Don Vecta wrote:
CajNatalie wrote:Looking at objeto.fpg and the broken falling can appears to be in 203.

Confirmed but the sprite won't appear. :-/
So that's the issue.
Well there's always the da- *is swept away by the V5 police before I can say any more*
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  graylandertagger on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:43 pm

I noticed how your Rushing Beat remake mod includes new health items.  Can you make a tutorial on adding those aswell.  Also Oracle made an update to Battle for Rio 2 which replaces the police helicopter with a drone.  Not sure if he used the same methods as you since I didn't know that the police helicopter could be edited yet, but i'm curious as to how he did it.

oracle wrote:

graylandertagger
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:55 pm

no

Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  graylandertagger on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:47 am

Don Vecta wrote:no
Gee, if you don't won't to make a tutorial all you had to do was say "no thanks" and let someone else make it. No need to be hard. I'll admit that I may have been pressurizing a couple people on tutorials lately and I guess I could have cut some people some slack. It's just that the forums has seen less activity lately, and i'm worried if it's going to die out since there's been fewer mods on the forums that there was a few years ago.
graylandertagger
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:09 am

graylandertagger wrote:
Don Vecta wrote:no
Gee, if you don't won't to make a tutorial all you had to do was say "no thanks" and let someone else make it.  No need to be hard.  I'll admit that I may have been pressurizing a couple people on tutorials lately and I guess I could have cut some people some slack.  It's just that the forums has seen less activity lately, and i'm worried if it's going to die out since there's been fewer mods on the forums that there was a few years ago.  
He's being "hard" because you keep asking for tutorials that revolves around the same stuff dude. This stuff doesn't just pop out of our asses. If you think activity is slow, then try to contribute something, work on a mod or graphics for custom items you would add to the game or something in the meantime. Stop pestering people for stuff that you could possibly discover on your own.

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Post  graylandertagger on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 am

Well, I have been planning on uploading some more images in the future once I can find a program for ripping sprites from emulation files(might get to that tomarrow if I get the chance). It's just that, while there is a tutorial for breakables, I don't recall finding one for pickups.
graylandertagger
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:36 am

graylandertagger wrote:Well, I have been planning on uploading some more images in the future once I can find a program for ripping sprites from emulation files(might get to that tomarrow if I get the chance).  It's just that, while there is a tutorial for breakables, I don't recall finding one for pickups.  
changing pick ups requires changing system files, just like the sounds, enemies etc. Until there's a way to do this without exposing the original works, you're going to have to wait for that. If I were you, I'd get some sort of handle on fpg maker and replacing the available stuff like breakable objects until then. This is going to take a lot of effort on your end, a simple tutorial isn't going to do justice.

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:08 am

Like I said, all this stuff is as simple as playing with wav data; Din is completely correct here.
Anyone who's shown active (key word) interest in data customisation will be able to examine any mod and see how things are done so they can make their own customisations.
From what I've observed, you continue to demonstrate inactive interest - you'll never do anything yourself but you want us to follow through with everything in your head in your place, or this is at least the perspective of everyone I've spoken to.
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  graylandertagger on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:41 pm

CajNatalie wrote:Like I said, all this stuff is as simple as playing with wav data; Din is completely correct here.
Anyone who's shown active (key word) interest in data customisation will be able to examine any mod and see how things are done so they can make their own customisations.
From what I've observed, you continue to demonstrate inactive interest - you'll never do anything yourself but you want us to follow through with everything in your head in your place, or this is at least the perspective of everyone I've spoken to.

(Sigh.) Fine. The reason why I haven't made a mod is that I know virtually nothing about that. I'll upload some sprites if anyone is interested, but I can't do something I know nothing about. If it makes you feel any better i'll shut my mouth on the tutorials and all. It's just that i'm worried about the inactivity the forums had lately. Not many modders left. I figured that having as many tutorials as possible would help keep the forums alive. But as I've said i'll shut up.
graylandertagger
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:43 pm

yes, please

Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  CajNatalie on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Are you sure we don't need to make a tutorial on how to shut up first? Razz
CajNatalie
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  graylandertagger on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:08 pm

CajNatalie wrote:Are you sure we don't need to make a tutorial on how to shut up first? Razz
Sheesh, I already said I was going to stop. What more do you want. You don't need to be rude or anything.
graylandertagger
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Let me get some ointment for that burn. ;o;

In all seriousness, what did you expect dude? You not knowing anything is a bullshit excuse, there's plenty of tools and resources around here and even on YouTube for basic modding. Do you seriously think you're just going to waltz in and do something as advanced as enemy replacement when you're too lazy to get your feet wet with the already provided modding tools? Come on now, you needed that tough love haha. Get your hands dirty first then come asking about the deeper stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post  graylandertagger on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:49 pm

Mr.Din wrote:Let me get some ointment for that burn. ;o;

In all seriousness, what did you expect dude? You not knowing anything is a bullshit excuse, there's plenty of tools and resources around here and even on YouTube for basic modding. Do you seriously think you're just going to waltz in and do something as advanced as enemy replacement when you're too lazy to get your feet wet with the already provided modding tools? Come on now, you needed that tough love haha. Get your hands dirty first then come asking about the deeper stuff.
I don't mind taking criticism for my posts, but I only ask that people be constructive. I never said that I was going to tackle enemy replacements. I just thought it would help the forums if there was a tutorial for that. I know this isn't my forum. I'm just posting my opinions. Besides, forum rule number 1 requires members to be respectful. I don't mean to sound like a crybaby when pointing this out. I just want the conversation to be as clean as possible. Rolling Eyes
graylandertagger
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:08 pm

Lemme get this through my head:

Why do you want me to put an advanced tutorial of something you don't even going to bother to use anyways since you even dared to input an overused OpenBOR scene inside an fpg, place enemies, music and make it playable? I didn't want to call you out, but you've been poking in a hornet nest with your incessant request of stuff we're not supposed to be leaving 100% in the open yet.
Geez, I do have more respect from people who actually tried to deliver something simple in a mod and give it a try, despite releasing something bad... but hey, if they ask me anything in the tutorials to improve their mods, I'd definitely support them!
And no, this isn't a "if you don't create, you can't give opinion post", no. There's plenty of players only users who have contributed a lot in our community and not being nagging us to release something.
Besides, if something's not posted, why do I have to do it? Why does Caj or Din or Augmented Antics or Oracle or any modder who already started to mess with data folders? Why don't you dare to see what's inside my Rushing Beat Remake data folder and find it out? Why don't see Rage in Time? You have zero initiative and you don't dare to be involved in modding. Charco, Benny, me, Caj, Cm_Blast and even B himself have released proper tutorials with everything, from the very basics, enough for you to start getting your ass in gear and work in something. Watch the video I posted about the Boondocks Saints, stop talking and stand up and do something.

Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  graylandertagger on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Sigh. Fine, i'll take a look at the files in the mods you mentioned when I get around to it. Rolling Eyes
graylandertagger
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top