SORR Gangs of Fury [Version 1.2]

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SORR Gangs of Fury [Version 1.2]

Post  Benny26 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:48 pm

*Mod by Zarzak

I am proud to present: Streets of Rage: Gangs of Fury!
(Updated July 3rd, 2012)

Description: Gangs of Fury takes place after the events of Streets of Rage Remake, a multitude of new independant gangs have popped up and it's up to our heroes to stop them.

Over 8 stages, you'll have 8 unique gangs to beat up. Storm their turf, and put an end to the gang by pounding on their leader. Just a simple, fun storyline with a light sense of humor. Just about every stage/scene has been hand edited with a hopes of being a somwhat unique experience.

The idea is for this to be as nostalgic of a mod as possible, something that is proud to be a "Streets of Rage" game, and pays a homage to it. So i'm utilizing as much of the content that's in the SORR as it is, including [s]music[/s], sfx, and the like. I've also been making this mod with the "computer illiterate" in mind, so no palette swapping. It'll be unzip, load up, and have some 80's/90's beat'em up fun Smile

*Version 1.2 changes all the music. After the feedback recieved, and after having had enough of the SORR music in so many mods, I figured I'd go ahead and provide a cooler soundtrack. No additional work needed for you to enjoy.*

Version 1.2 Update
http://filebeam.com/9fd185d7ab0cce3f017111323b56f178
Mediafire(Thanks to Tony78!):
mediafire.com ?9rtgtq0ser4bqsb
Rapidshare(Thanks to Tony78!):
rapidshare.com/files/4087221387 ... __1.2_.rar
(If anyone wants to provide any mirrors, feel free to pm me, and I'll post 'em)

Screens:

Hope you guys enjoy, I had a lot of fun making it. Hopefully this is a 100% complete version, but please leave feedback if you find something broken. And if you find enjoyment in the mod, please share it with others so we can all keep SOR alive. Thanks dudes.

Admin

http://www.sorrcommunity.com

Back to top Go down

Re: SORR Gangs of Fury [Version 1.2]

Post  LucasHB on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:04 pm

Excellent mod! Good fun to play, but also, a great selection of stages, some of the best made sprites for a mod I´ve ever seen. It´s truly magnificent.

Rating: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven (out of 5).

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  6566328 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Great run. Nice usage of Way of the Warrior palettes, a Chun Li custom voice for Blaze and the new music.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyTheSquid on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:40 am

Have been playing the heck out of this one ever since I downloaded this. It's a hard, but rewarding challenge and virtually entirely linear, which is how I like my brawlers. The levels are expertly designed, polished gems of SORmaker and sprite-editing skills. Each scenario is filled with memorable moments and fun, creative challenges.

The difficulty curve is how it should be: right from the start the enemies come at you hard and fast -- even the first couple of levels punish you for not paying attention, and even a long-time SoR(R) player could easily lose several lives during a sloppy play-through. There are some life-sink scenes in there (falling off the bus in level 3, pits/elevator in level 6), but those are very manageable when you play cautiously.

All in all, I can honestly say that I have come to enjoy this mod more than the standard SoRR levelset.

Some of my favorite things in Gangs of Fury:

- The Pit. Level 1 boss area -- hordes upon hordes of mook-tier enemies dropping in at a time in an enclosed area. Plenty of weapons (and weapon-using opponents) to keep things nicely hectic. Carnage ensues.

- "The Gauntlet" (as I have dubbed it). Level 2 indoor & boss area -- wave after wave of opponents, with comparatively few health items and lots of enemies that will eat those right up if you blink an eye. Quite a few shooters, jumpkickers and other nastiness in the mix to wear you down, and the boss battle -- oh, the boss battle!. Barbon & a kickboxer with a generous helping of health bars and backup from several squads of Donovans and suits with guns. Oh, and it's indoors, so no police support for you either.

- The Bus. Level 3 -- the fight on top of the moving bus is memorably merciless, but it gets easier with some practice and caution. Major adrenalin rush, every time -- one stupid move, a single lapse of your attention span and it's yet another life needlessly lost.

- Fighting "Mr. Big". Level 4 -- one of two possible bosses you can battle. You fight a Mr. X lookalike and his cronies in a store littered with pistols, uzis and bazookas. The other boss is also sufficiently challenging and enjoyable.

- Horde of Horror. Level 5 -- fighting a massive swarm (30, maybe more) of those annoying clowns with their super-long-range whips. There's no place to run, and nowhere to hide. Hellishly difficult for slower characters. Also loved the clown spraying graffiti onto the foreground -- it really adds to the mood the level is trying to convey.

- Boss Battle. Level 6 -- after a punishingly hard elevator scene, your adrenalin will be kept pumping by a very creative boss battle: facing down two Mr. X robots and some laserbots while avoiding the periodic zaps from above that try to home in on your position.

- Inner City. Level 7 -- another gauntlet to run, nothing held back. Throngs of mooks (some with pipes/bats) with a smattering of (mini)bosses, lots of speeding motorcycles and grenades aiming for your face. Complete chaos, that's what it is.

- Samurai Trio & Final Boss. Level 8 -- Take down each samurai individually after defeating their hordes of minions, then fight them at the same time (or, if are boring/sane, you can draw them out individually...)
The final boss battle is actually not all that hard after what this mod has already put you through, which is a welcome change of pace and lets you enjoy the amazing, trippy visuals. Really wowed me when I first reached the final scene.

One nitpick I have is that some boss enemies do not appear in mania mode, even though they do on very hard... specifically, the Particle bot that accompanies the bikers guarding the elevator in level 6 and Abadede during the final boss battle. What's up with that?

I really dig that the designer went so far as to include all-new music. That ties together the feel all the different scenes you fight through in this mod more than anything else.
WillyTheSquid
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarzak on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:34 pm

You know, I'm still blown away that after all this time, there is someone who was kind enough to share their thoughts (and love, apparently!) for this mod of mine. I very much appreciate your lengthy feedback, and I'm glad you really enjoyed the "spirit" I tried to capture.

I'm glad you liked the "set pieces" on each of the stages. It really was designed to keep things fresh all the time. There is lots i'd change still, and as you pointed out, there is some inconsistency to the difficulties and enemies. I'm a bit guilty of spending more time polishing the art than the gameplay..lol.

But again, thanks so much for the feedback! I'm glad it's still being enjoyed

Zarzak
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDarsh on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:13 pm

I totally agree. Your mod is top notch to me. It is not flawless since perfection does not exist but it still the best mod in this place, IMHO. It's fun, it's straight forward, fast pace, nice theme for every stage all furnished with original scenes, and a great soundtrack!

I don't have much time left to play SoRR compare to last year, so I didn't try the last mods that came up recently, but when I have an hour to spare for SoRR, your mods is always my first choice. Return of Mr X my second one. Wink

PS: Straight forward (no alternate route) and fast pace (30 to 45 min) are pretty rare mods, so you should keep your "title" for a long time in my heart! :p

Back in our day, you had one sound effect for 20 things, and you came to love that sound effect.
Back in our day... Streets of Rage - the Classic - the Original - was the best damn game out there."

-CajNatalie-
BigDarsh
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyTheSquid on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:16 am

Zarzak wrote:You know, I'm still blown away that after all this time, there is someone who was kind enough to share their thoughts (and love, apparently!) for this mod of mine.  I very much appreciate your lengthy feedback, and I'm glad you really enjoyed the "spirit" I tried to capture.
[...]
But again, thanks so much for the feedback!  I'm glad it's still being enjoyed

Yeah, I know how it is when you put all that effort into making something that you love and sharing it... those few people that you can count on the fingers of a single hand who bother to respond with feedback are worth the world to you Wink so here's to you, and I do hope you find the time to work on a new project someday.
WillyTheSquid
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:55 pm

WillyTheSquid wrote:...and I do hope you find the time to work on a new project someday.

he he he.... me too, man, me too...Exclamation 

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyTheSquid on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:18 am

For what it's worth, I'm starting my own, inspired by the whole community thing. No promises, though.

EDIT:
There is lots i'd change still, and as you pointed out, there is some inconsistency to the difficulties and enemies. I'm a bit guilty of spending more time polishing the art than the gameplay..lol.

I would very much be up for "remixing" Gangs of Fury in a collab of sorts. Polishing stuff is what I do best modding-wise...
WillyTheSquid
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:31 am

WillyTheSquid wrote:For what it's worth, I'm starting my own, inspired by the whole community thing. No promises, though.

Glad to hear it, more mods and modders are always welcome. Any questions, just ask Smile

In relation to Gangs of Fury, I must play this again, one of the best mods in my opinion.

Fecha : 17 – 3 – 03
*/

Primera linea de código escrita .. GO! GO! GO!
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyTheSquid on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:43 am

Agreed. When I feel like playing SoRR, it's either this one or Brutal Justice for me.

Ambitiously offtopic:
The main sticking point for my own project is that the backgrounds/stages will be difficult (16-bit style spriting of real-world locations). The payoff is that it might have a very sizable (sub)cultural impact in Rotterdam/Dutch media and on the internet (especially regarding 'serious games', an academic topic of interest) and draw new people into SoR(R)/oldschool beat em ups in general... if it's all properly produced/polished/released. Or it might not, but gut and my heart and my brain are telling me otherwise ;D

I will open a topic shortly, Smile
WillyTheSquid
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:40 pm

Played this the other night with my friend, still my favourite mod, really well made and the cutscenes are hilarious Very Happy

Fecha : 17 – 3 – 03
*/

Primera linea de código escrita .. GO! GO! GO!
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWolfe on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:57 pm

Charco wrote:Played this the other night with my friend, still my favourite mod, really well made and the cutscenes are hilarious Very Happy

I definitely second this notion!

I think the best part of this mod is its simplicity. It may not have branching paths (with exception of Stage 4), no alternate endings, no special palettes, and many of its backdrops have been reused in previous mods. However despite all of this (or rather because of all of this), it succeeds at boiling down the beat-em-up experience at its quintessential level - traveling to gang's turf and beating the crap out of them. There isn't anything else you need to worry about or any other complex factors to keep in mind other than which thug to clobber with a steel pipe.

Another great part of this mod is its attention to detail. While I mentioned previously that this mod uses backdrops seen in other mods, Zarzak adds many subtle touches touches to give each area their own distinct aesthetic. The high octane bus bomb rush in Stage 3 is significantly different from the macabre clown wasteland of Stage 5 which is unique from the seedy strip club of Stage 2. Zarzak succeeds by giving each location their own set of thugs and art design. Item placement is also meaningful, especially in Stage 4, with the group of thugs coming out of the sporting store wielding baseball bats and the gun shop loaded with tons of Uzis and handguns.

The only flaw I can think of right now is that the difficulty isn't balanced - Stage 6 and 7 are much harder than Stage 8. The Kung-Fu fighters, Yasha & Onihime, and the troll ninjas are powerful foes, but the powerful ranged attacks in Stage 6 and massive mobs and bikers of Stage 7 are much more dangerous. This is also seen with Stage 3 being harder than 4 or 5, especially with bomb timer ticking down and tons of bikers and ranged attacks. Good news is that Rush has been nerfed with v5.1. tongue

With this all said, I think Gangs of Fury sets out to only do one job and it succeeds at just that. Smile
TheWolfe
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:06 am

I stumbled upon this... wow, Mania Ash! (still playing in v5.0a, though)

Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumnal on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:15 pm

I'm late to the party, but on the off chance that the Mod maker read this, I'm just gonna leave this here.

I discovered this mod a few days ago and I enjoyed every moment of it. It is exactly what its description promises, and I will play the crap out of it for a while I think.

Man, that clown stage was a thing of beauty; and the elevator in stage 6 was very reminiscent of the one in the original SOR1, when you could toss baddies in the pit with very little effort.

Thanks and regards

Autumnal

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarzak on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:25 am

Autumnal wrote:I'm late to the party, but on the off chance that the Mod maker read this, I'm just gonna  leave this here.

I discovered this mod a few days ago and I enjoyed every moment of it. It is exactly what its description promises, and I will play the crap out of it for a while I think.

Man, that clown stage was a thing of beauty; and the elevator in stage 6 was very reminiscent of the one in the original SOR1, when you could toss baddies in the pit with very little effort.

Thanks and regards

Lol, There is no off chance, only a good chance that I'll read comments. Smile I'm still active, and am trying to find a way to still produce stuff without it sucking up all my time.

I'm glad this is still enjoyable. There is probably still some fixes to be made with the new patch, and a few tweaks, but as a whole, It seems like there was something for everyone that was memorable, and I'm glad whenever someone shares something that stood out for them and made their experience enjoyable.

Thanks so much for your kind words and support.

Zarzak
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyTheSquid on Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:41 am

Glad to read you're still working on stuff, Zarzak. Couldn't get SoRR to compile on my Linux distro for a while, but now that it's working again I find myself once again playing Gangs of Fury almost every day.

It seems that since 5.1 came out, an issue has been introduced with enemies who spawn out of thin air. But since I have all the enemy waves in this mod pretty much memorized it doesn't bother me. It's mostly (only?) the ones who (should) fade from black into color as they walk down out of a spawning point. I think it's related to the issue introduced with 5.1 patch that lets enemies aggro before the spawning animation is finished.
Other than that this mod has aged very well.

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Security on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Thank you for the treat, OP and mod developer! This one was an excellent experience, very "crunchy" and satisfying, breaking all those enemies felt so good! I am now uploading a video as always, with my signature Max/mania/no continues spent drill! Nice stages, great plot twist (Rudra, cough!), nice anime-sh_t-asspulls (ninja magic!, ninja-master making you relive battles from your past, etc), that was the real deal! That was a GREAT mod! One of the select few that tempts me to keep replaying, for going through all possible routes! Great soundtrack selections, as well; although to confess my sin and heresy, i would like to see how the original with the more BK-ish soundtrack used to sound... All in all, thank you people for both your hard work, dedication and love to this project! You sure have pampered us all too much with all those delicious treats, all this time! Someone can NEVER be bored playing SORRv5.1!

Somehow, though, this mod felt kind of... Easy!? I mean, some mods of Vecta and Natalie (like H.U.N.T.E.R. GOTY, Golden Rage, Streets of Rage 1 collection mega drive route or Streets of Rage 2 collection mega drive route) were hell on earth in Mania, compared to this one. Ninja
Security
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyTheSquid on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:48 pm

It's not just you... there's missing enemies on Mania mode that do appear on Very Hard. Try playing on that difficulty.

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Security on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:28 pm

Will do, absolutely! Until then:

Comments are welcome, as always!
Security
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  vince on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:35 pm

I played to this game one again, still love ii, especillay the last level which is crazy! About it, somebody knows what is the music? We can hear it on this link:
https://youtu.be/cey8_mwJmDI?t=4491

Thanks!
vince
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyTheSquid on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Yes I do, if you are playing version 1.2 the soundtrack is all original work by composer Jeff van Dyck. Now that's dedication to modmaking, getting someone to do a custom soundtrack Very Happy

And I have to say every single song of the soundtrack is awesome to me. Literally every one. No weak links there at all. If I had to pick a favorite I would say stage 4 (the mall) just has a great progression going from the parking zone to the upstairs areas and the songs fit very well, but the stage 7 songs are equally amazing too.

All round fantastic stuff.

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  vince on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 am

I didn't know Jeff van Dyck, and indeed he's fantastic, I listened many good musics from him untill yesterday (but still not find the one used in the final of Gangs of Fury, so if somebody finds it, tell me).
vince
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyTheSquid on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:18 am

You can just grab the .ogg files from the mod folder? I seem to remember reading (but I might be off the mark here) that Zarzak actually requested Jeff to make the music specifically for use in the mod. Again, I might be wrong.

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top